Monday, May 22, 2023

A long winded story about my rabbits

 For a long time I have wanted goats. First it was fainting goats (I thought they were funny) but more recently I settled on pygoras, the world's cutest fiber goats. I had a plan. I had a recommendation for a reputable seller. It was happening. And then it all fell apart. No goats, no ideas where to look next. 

I was in limbo.

In the back of my mind, I had decided that maybe angora rabbits would be acceptable though they had a similar problem: I didn't know anyone who sold them. I spent a lot of time thinking about and planning for theoretical animals.

Then, out of the blue, I reconnected with an old friend, someone I haven't seen in well over a decade. We were catching up, comparing gardens and lives and she mentioned that she had rabbits. And not just standard farm rabbits - she has angoras. I lit up, asked all sorts of questions. And to my delight, not only did she have angoras, she had too many. They'd had a surprise litter and she was looking for someone interested in a pair.

And that is how we ended up with angora rabbits here on the homestead. They get groomed every week and I am learning how to spin - so expect a post about making yarn in the future.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some news

  Hi friends Things have been in a holding pattern here on the homestead as we wait out winter. I'm hoping to bring you some more projec...