Monday, May 15, 2023

Sourdough

 It was bread time this weekend on the homestead.

I have, of course, baked bread before. From the time I was small I would be called upon the help my mother with the weekly bread baking. When I moved out on my own I found my own favorite bread recipes: first an olive oil bread and later a couple of bread machine recipes when I had less time to devote to the process as done by hand. But this was my first attempt at sourdough. Luckily my mother was on hand to walk me through.

Here's her starter, ready to start turning into delicious bread.

 
Measured out with honey, salt, flour, water, and a little cornmeal for crunch.  We use a dough whisk which makes combining ingredients much easier

After kneading we have a happy little dough ball...

That rises into this behemoth.

Divide and shape the dough, then one last session of rising in the proofing baskets before being turned onto a baking tray and slashed.

And here's the final product! I wish I could include scent here because these loaves smelled delightful.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Some news

  Hi friends Things have been in a holding pattern here on the homestead as we wait out winter. I'm hoping to bring you some more projec...